This post is part of a new weekly feature where we will focus on events and issues, related to the environment, happening in our own back yard of Washington, DC. Come back next Wednesday for another post.
If you live in the Washington, DC metropolitan area and you want to get in on the Earth Day action this year, below are some of the best options in the city. Don't forget, you can always grab some garbage bags and pick-up all those beer bottles and Doritos packages littering just about every part of our beloved city.
- April 19th - National Zoo, Rock Creek Clean-Up: I participated in a Rock Creek clean-up last week with with the Friends of Rock Creek's Environment (FORCE). The group pulled out a bbq, television, shopping car and probably about 30 bags of garbage from our little area by Adams-Morgan. Next Saturday, the Zoo will have their own clean-up of the area directly surrounding it. If you want to volunteer, you can see the details HERE. If you've ever jogged or ridden a bike around the Zoo, you know its overdue for some cleaning.
- April 20th - Green Apple Music Festival on the National Mall: This event will be one of the biggest Earth Day celebrations in American history! Elected officials, guest speakers, celebrities and musicians will gather alongside educational demonstrations on greener living on the National Mall. Among the bands performing are: The Roots, Gov't Mule, Thievery Corp., and more. You can learn more HERE
- April 21ist - Green DC Day on Freedom Plaza: Come to Freedom Plaza from 10am to 4pm for the Green DC Day where there will be plenty of information and experiences geared toward living an eco-friendly life in the District.
- April 26th - Anacostia Watershed Clean-Up: Since the new Nationals ballpark opened, everyone is more aware of just how filthy the Anacostia River really is. Come help clean it up from 8:30am to 2:00pm during the 14th annual Watershed Clean-Up. Volunteers get a free t-shirt and are invited after the clean-up to a party with food, live music and fun at the Seafarers Yacht Club. Sign-up to volunteer HERE.
- April 26th - Alexandria Earth Day: This is the 15th Anniversary of the Alexandria Earth Day. From 10am to 2pm, come out to Ben Brenmam Park for a tree sale, tree plantings, used products drop-off, a run, a youth fair and opportunities to measure your environmental footprint. To get all the info, go HERE
- April 26th - Montgomery County Earth Day Celebration: Come out to 850 Hungerford Drive in Rockville to see the county's recycling facility. You will learn about where you recycling goes when you put it in the bin and how it is processed. Get tips on how to compost and to pick-up compost bins for your home. You can also drop-off electronic waste for recycling and have your confidential paperwork shredded for free. Check it all out HERE