29.12.06

Polar Bear Propoganda


The decision by the Bush administration (the administration) to list Polar Bears as threatened species under the Endangered Species Act has garnered far more media attention than I expected. This is great news for anyone following the global warming issue. One Fox News editorial caught my attention this afternoon.

First, according to the editorial, the decision to list the Polar Bear was part of a settlement agreement reached between the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and the Bush administration. NRDC filed a lawsuit seeking to force the administration to list Polar Bears as threatened. To meet the settlement terms, the Administration, with the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), began the process for listing the bears.

Second, the Fox editorial goes on to explain that currently the US government offers licenses for hunting Polar Bears. It also explains that laws already exist to protect Polar Bears. Finally, the op-ed states that no scientific data has been forwarded to support the idea that Polar Bear habitat is declining.

Overall, the editorial questioned the idea that Polar Bears need protecting and undermined the notion that this is a sign the administration is beginning to embrace the existence of Global Warming.

I guess I was a little naiive to believe this was the beginning of a policy change on global warming. I haven't read the listing on the Polar Bears so I cannot make a judgment call on whether protection is, in fact, needed. I am also not educated on the various laws protecting Polar Bears. Honestly, they could be protecting snowflakes and this story would garner just as much of my attention. The fact was that the administration was beginning to budge on global warming. Maybe this editorial author is wrong, but I won't hold my breath

By the way, here is the link...http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,239697,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment