Last night Senator Joe Biden of Delaware was officially nominated to serve as Vice President to Barack Obama. Biden gave a great speech, preceded by a passionate introduction by his son, Beau Biden. Joe Biden is a well liked Senator known for his straight talk and foreign affairs experience. What do we know about his support for environmental issues?
- Biden has an 83% lifetime score from the League of Conservation Voters.
- Supports capping carbon emissions 80% below 1990 levels by 2050.
- Supports requiring 20% of America's energy coming from renewable energy sources.
- Supports a federal government vehicle fleet with fuel efficiency requirements of 40 miles per gallon.
- Supports using federal construction projects to spur investment in the green building industry.
- Supports research and investment into clean coal and carbon sequestration technologies for export to other nations. China builds a new coal power plant every week.
- Does not support lifting the ban on offshore oil drilling.
- Co-sponsored a Senate resolution calling on the U.S. to participate in U.N. climate negotiations.
- Co-sponsored the Boxer-Sanders Global Warming Pollution Reduction Act which establishes a cap-and-trade system for greenhouse-gas emissions.