If you're like most people, you probably have a tough time keeping up with all the different ways we're supposed to save the planet. It seems as though a tidal wave of interest and information has arrived and many are trying very hard to keep up. There is one consistent concept though that can help simplify some of your eco-choices: go organic.
While you stress over deciding which kind of florescent light to buy or which plastic bottles you can recycle, you can relax knowing that when confronted with the option, organic is always better. Why should you stick with organic?
Putting aside the fact that the term "organic" is very broad and could encompass a variety of factors, choosing organic food and products means you are definitely reducing the amount of toxic chemicals dumped onto our planet.
The pesticides, insecticides and fertilizers used by farmers to increase their crop yield are having a devastating effect everywhere. Each time it rains, excess fertilizer gets washed into rivers and streams, which lead to the ocean or gulfs, where it increases phosphate levels, killing off sea life and destroying the saltwater ecosystem. Pesticides and insecticides have been linked to developmental abnormalities among children, cancer growth among adults, and they can easily find their way to our drinking water supply.
One of the best choices in organic that you can make is to buy clothing made of organic cotton. Here are some reasons why...
- Cotton not grown organically accounts for 25% of the the world's insecticide use and 10% of the pesticides. These pesticides are among the most dangerous available.
- One pound of chemical fertilizers and pesticides are necessary to grow just three pounds of non-organic cotton that is necessary for a t-shirt and pair of jeans.
- Pesticides and insecticides cause acute poisoning and chronic illnesses among farmworkers who pick non-organic cotton.
- Loomstate is one of the original manufacturers of clothing made of organic cotton. They're collection includes all types of clothing, including jeans. You can find a store near you HERE.
- If you are looking for socks, pajamas, baby clothes and accessories, you can shop at Maggies.
- American Apparel sells clothing made from organic cotton. Their choices include long and short sleeves shirts and underwear for men and women.
- REI also sells clothing that is "eco-sensitive" consisting of recycled and organic materials.
- Amazon.com sells a huge array of clothing for babies, children, men and women that are made from organic materials. You can see the list HERE
- Finally, Simple Shoes sells an entire line of sneakers and other footwear made from organic cotton, hemp and recycled products.